Wednesday 21 November 2018

It's about time. Again. For real this time.

I don't think I've ever entirely understood blogging. Back in the heady days of Livejournal I would happily share every waking brainfart that sprang to mind, where Twitter seems to have filled that particular niche in this day and age. Nonsense in 240 characters or less - now that's convenient!

The question to my mind has always been one of how much to share. I second-guess everything that gets posted online. Tweets, Youtube uploads; everything. There's a sneaky little voice that gets me to check if anything is actually 'worthwhile' before it goes into the wider world. Well, people seem to keep enjoying what I'm doing, so that little voice can take a breather for a while and I'm going to try putting my hand to this blog thing. For real, this time. Maybe a weekly round up of hobby stuff I've seen and done, or just thoughts and impressions that people might find interesting from someone else's perspective. I don't know, really. Let's just throw something at the wall and see what sticks.

That's ever the problem with these posts, you see. Is there too much text? Not enough? Am I waffling? Is this the right tone? I feel like I'm usually treading dangerously close to trying to ape the likes of Douglas Adams, or even further back, H.G. Wells. Perhaps, if either of those names strike a chord, you'll like to stick around and bask in the pale shadow of an imitator with less to say and fewer subjects on which he can hold court!

Now, if you're stumbling on to this for the first time, here's a quick look at what it is I'm doing these days - still painting miniatures, but finally having struck on a few methods I like the look of!

L-R: British Officer (Battlefront), German Officer (The Plastic Soldier Company), US Officer (Battlefront)

Nighthaunt Chainrasp painted using Citadel's range of Technical Paints and basing materials.

An Iron Hand Captain in Gravis Armour, from the Dark Imperium boxed set.

An Imperial Fist Sergeant kitbashed from one of the new Space Marine Heroes range of miniatures.

A 'counts-as' Imperial Guard officer kitbashed with several Adeptus Mechanicus bits.

A Wight King demonstrating drybrushing and shading techniques with more Citadel basing material.

Pretty pictures! I'd say I've probably improved a little over time, but I'm quite comfortable with how my painting style has settled as I've gotten into a groove recently. I'm not going to win awards, but I can turn an army out and have fun while I'm doing it, and that's what I'm into. Why, it's the subject of the Youtube channel I run in which I paint things, aptly titled "How I Paint Things." I really wish I'd thought of something better before I got started.


Go ahead and feel free to check the channel out from there if you haven't seen it already. The Celestial Vindicator there is probably one of the recent videos I'm most pleased with, and it gives a pretty good idea of what you're going to get in the rest of them. Simple techniques, easily replicated results and a good looking army when you're finished. Can't beat that!

I think I'm going to sign off on this one for now and actually post again when I've got something more concrete that I'd like to share. There's some wargame rules I've been puttering around with that could use a home, and it's nice to think there's a spot where some of this will remain in situ for a while without having to worry about clicks and engagements and all that kind of carry on.

No comments:

Post a Comment